Timing belt or chain on 1.8T

YYCEric

Reactions
Does anyone know if Alltrack 1.8T has a timing belt or a chain?

The sales guy told me that it is a timing belt and needs to be changed at 150,000 KM. I looked through the maintenance intervals listed in the booklet and there are no references to replacing a timing belt.

I believe the general trend is away from timing belts, so just would like to confirm.

Thanks

Reactions
Its a timing belt.

OP
Y

YYCEric

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks. Do you happen to know the suggest service interval for the timing belt? Mileage or time?

Arm&Hammer

Reactions
Thanks PaulGiz,
The VW 1.8L engine spec sheet is a good resource. On page 8 it clearly states our engine has a timing chain. That's great.
Just some other observations that stood our for me about the Technical Features of the new 1.8L TSI engine were:
- Thin-walled engine block (3 mm thick)
- Plastic lower oil pan
- Use of aluminum bolts
I'm sure it is well thought out and well designed but these make me worried about durability.
In the back of my mind I remember what my dear old Dad had warned me about new technology such as experiences with his 1960 Buick Special with the first GM all Aluminum V8 that warped after overheating and his diesel Oldsmobile that did not last 30,000 miles. Or how about Cadillac's V8-6-4 engine of 1981, that seemed like a good idea at the time, switching off different cylinders as needed, that ultimately became a V8-6-4-0 and failed prematurely.
I guess engine technology has come a long way.

Reactions
Does anyone know if Alltrack 1.8T has a timing belt or a chain?

The sales guy told me that it is a timing belt and needs to be changed at 150,000 KM. I looked through the maintenance intervals listed in the booklet and there are no references to replacing a timing belt.

I believe the general trend is away from timing belts, so just would like to confirm.

Thanks
Your sales guy is wrong, it's a timing CHAIN, I've come to expect misinformation from the people working at VW dealers, they act like they know but upon further questioning other sources too many times they are wrong.
Case in point,I just was recently told the oil drain plug was a threaded metal plug...by a SERVICE TECH at a VW dealer, turns out it's a plastic plug w/rubber O-ring. Now you would think a service tech would know something this simple right?
Because of this stupid tech I changed my mind about having them do my oil change, I'm going to do it myself.
Good thing you asked your question here to get the right answer and the post by PaulGiz (below) shows you in the specifications section it's indeed a timing chain.
Now as far as frequency of replacement goes I can't say for sure, sorry, but with a quick web search you should get the correct interval.
I don't trust dealerships which is too bad, I always have to second guess what they tell me as fact sometimes turns out to be bad info.

Reactions
Thanks PaulGiz,
The VW 1.8L engine spec sheet is a good resource. On page 8 it clearly states our engine has a timing chain. That's great.
Just some other observations that stood our for me about the Technical Features of the new 1.8L TSI engine were:
- Thin-walled engine block (3 mm thick)
- Plastic lower oil pan
- Use of aluminum bolts
I'm sure it is well thought out and well designed but these make me worried about durability.
In the back of my mind I remember what my dear old Dad had warned me about new technology such as experiences with his 1960 Buick Special with the first GM all Aluminum V8 that warped after overheating and his diesel Oldsmobile that did not last 30,000 miles. Or how about Cadillac's V8-6-4 engine of 1981, that seemed like a good idea at the time, switching off different cylinders as needed, that ultimately became a V8-6-4-0 and failed prematurely.
I guess engine technology has come a long way.
One other troubling thing you didn't mention about new tech, the carbon build-up on the back side of the intake valves due to the newer direct injection engines which require cleaning around 50kmi or so. This is not just a VW issue but most if not all direct injections have this problem.
And this cleaning procedure can be costly anywhere above $500-up. So far there is no "preventive maintenance" I'm aware of to prevent this from happening either. It's happens because the fuel is no longer injected before the intake valve which used to keep the back of valve relatively clean and the PVC
system recirculates engine gasses/oil vapors back thru intake which causes the carbon build-up. So much for newer technology. So the gas savings we see with direct injection will be eaten up by the cost of the cleaning procedure later down the road. The only benefit is to the repair shops.

Reactions
One other troubling thing you didn't mention about new tech, the carbon build-up on the back side of the intake valves due to the newer direct injection engines which require cleaning around 50kmi or so. This is not just a VW issue but most if not all direct injections have this problem.
And this cleaning procedure can be costly anywhere above $500-up. So far there is no "preventive maintenance" I'm aware of to prevent this from happening either. It's happens because the fuel is no longer injected before the intake valve which used to keep the back of valve relatively clean and the PVC
system recirculates engine gasses/oil vapors back thru intake which causes the carbon build-up. So much for newer technology. So the gas savings we see with direct injection will be eaten up by the cost of the cleaning procedure later down the road. The only benefit is to the repair shops.
There are all sorts of intake and valve cleaning systems out there that will help control build up, that only run about $150-200 for a service of a 3 part cleaner kit and that should include labor. also running top tier fuel and running higher grade gas will burn cleaner also helping control the build up.
check out BG fuel system clean and Berryman b12 kits i have seen both use many times and be helpful.

Reactions
There are all sorts of intake and valve cleaning systems out there that will help control build up, that only run about $150-200 for a service of a 3 part cleaner kit and that should include labor. also running top tier fuel and running higher grade gas will burn cleaner also helping control the build up.
check out BG fuel system clean and Berryman b12 kits i have seen both use many times and be helpful.
I don't mean to be picking on you but, running "top tier fuel" has no affect on the backs of the intake valves how do you figure? Fuel isn't coming from the intake manifold it's directly injected into cylinder at the top of combustion chamber, although top tier fuel might help keep the injectors cleaner longer.

Where did you see this cleaning service for $150-200. I know BG has all sorts of cleaners and special tools to do this type of service but I don't think it's the price you stated is it?

If you haven't watched it you should...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhUJsZXzmg Not sure if Oil Catch Can will work either I've seen mixed reviews some say it works other say it doesn't catch anything, If I were to use one though I'd find one that doesn't eliminate the stock PVC many of them do.

Basically the only way to solve this problem is manual cleaning which requires removal of the intake manifold. It would be nice if someone came up with a intake manifold kit (like little injectors) that could be put into the air stream for each runner that you could periodically add cleaners to, you wouldn't

have to worry about running harsh chemicals thru the turbo and other parts could damage engine. I've heard the BG products are very good but haven't found any service shops around here, every 10kmi I'd go that route if I could find a dealer to do it (if it wasn't too expensive)

Manufactures have gone with direct injection to get better gas mileage but what savings are we actually seeing if you have to spend $500-1000 to have valves cleaned every 40-50kmi not to mention the injectors themselves.

Reactions
I don't mean to be picking on you but, running "top tier fuel" has no affect on the backs of the intake valves how do you figure? Fuel isn't coming from the intake manifold it's directly injected into cylinder at the top of combustion chamber, although top tier fuel might help keep the injectors cleaner longer.

Where did you see this cleaning service for $150-200. I know BG has all sorts of cleaners and special tools to do this type of service but I don't think it's the price you stated is it?

If you haven't watched it you should...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhUJsZXzmg Not sure if Oil Catch Can will work either I've seen mixed reviews some say it works other say it doesn't catch anything, If I were to use one though I'd find one that doesn't eliminate the stock PVC many of them do.

Basically the only way to solve this problem is manual cleaning which requires removal of the intake manifold. It would be nice if someone came up with a intake manifold kit (like little injectors) that could be put into the air stream for each runner that you could periodically add cleaners to, you wouldn't

have to worry about running harsh chemicals thru the turbo and other parts could damage engine. I've heard the BG products are very good but haven't found any service shops around here, every 10kmi I'd go that route if I could find a dealer to do it (if it wasn't too expensive)

Manufactures have gone with direct injection to get better gas mileage but what savings are we actually seeing if you have to spend $500-1000 to have valves cleaned every 40-50kmi not to mention the injectors themselves.
No offense taken.
I have worked in repair shops for over 20 years. We used BG and the berrymans kits. Both cleaned well the Bg was the better of the two products.
Anytime you run a cleaner fuel you will have less carbon deposit in the engine and taking maintance steps to reduce over all carbon deposits in the engine will reduce carbon build up as well. And in turn having less build up on the valves. We sold the Bg service for 169.99.
You can hook the kits to a vacuum port on the intake and avoid the turbo.
So I hope this info can help you out. Is also just my 2 cents so take it what?s worth to you.

Reactions
No offense taken.
I have worked in repair shops for over 20 years. We used BG and the berrymans kits. Both cleaned well the Bg was the better of the two products.
Anytime you run a cleaner fuel you will have less carbon deposit in the engine and taking maintance steps to reduce over all carbon deposits in the engine will reduce carbon build up as well. And in turn having less build up on the valves. We sold the Bg service for 169.99.
You can hook the kits to a vacuum port on the intake and avoid the turbo.
So I hope this info can help you out. Is also just my 2 cents so take it what?s worth to you.
Do you know of any shops in the Seattle area that do the BG service? I've tried searching and can't find any.

Reactions
You should try the new pep boys they took over all the old Elliott tire and service locations. They might still have the Bg treatments.

Reactions
City
Winchester
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Alltrack S
Supposedly Gen3 Engines have helped that, here's something I found:

The direct injection engine has an unavoidable issue with carbon build up on the intake ports and the intake valves. The fuel is added directly into the cylinder rather than injected into the port and washed out carbon deposit. That leads to restricted airflow, additional weight on valves and bad closing gaps. The engine will produce less power and consume more fuel. The Gen3 engines have fuel injection into the ports in addition to the direct injection; in this case, the last generation stays away from that problem and keeps the intake components relatively clean.

Reactions
The Gen3 engines have fuel injection into the ports in addition to the direct injection; in this case, the last generation stays away from that problem and keeps the intake components relatively clean.
I read Vw did that but only on cars sold in Germany (maybe all of Europe I don't remember now) but they abandoned it for whatever reason I don't know. Anyway the N.A. cars never got that dual system.
I see you're in Va. so you have a N.A. Alltrack made in Mexico, our cars DO NOT have the dual injection system and never will. I think the only cars that got it were the German made cars and like I said VW stopped.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M General Automotive Discussions 2