Prospective buyer, one specific concern

Reactions
Hi All-

My wife and I are considering trading in our 09' subaru impreza for an Alltrack. Our other prospects include the Forester and Outback, but we really love how the Alltrack feels to drive and of course the styling. After having a oil consumption issue with our Impreza, we're ready to give Subaru a break...maybe.

Our biggest concern with the Alltrack is the rear seat leg room. I am 6'0 and I feel pretty cramped in the back. I just talked to the dealership about test driving their only Alltrack, a 2017 SE and while I was on the phone another couple was currently test driving it. He called me later and explained they decided not to buy it because they have two infants and their carseats didn't fit in the back.

My wife is expecting our first child in April and a carseat was purchased for us, but we probably wont receive it until Feb when she has her baby shower. I know the prudent thing to do would be to wait until we have the carseat and go to the dealership with it, but to be honest we're ready to buy a car sooner the later and the Alltracks are becoming hard to find in my area.

I'm not looking for advice on car seats, but I am curious how other Alltrack owners perceive the limited space for rear seat passengers and use of car seats and how they are dealing with it, if it's an issue for them, etc. Does anyone have any experience having a carseat in the back? How does that affect the front passenger or driver legroom?

Thanks!

Reactions
Hi All-

My wife and I are considering trading in our 09' subaru impreza for an Alltrack. Our other prospects include the Forester and Outback, but we really love how the Alltrack feels to drive and of course the styling. After having a oil consumption issue with our Impreza, we're ready to give Subaru a break...maybe.

Our biggest concern with the Alltrack is the rear seat leg room. I am 6'0 and I feel pretty cramped in the back. I just talked to the dealership about test driving their only Alltrack, a 2017 SE and while I was on the phone another couple was currently test driving it. He called me later and explained they decided not to buy it because they have two infants and their carseats didn't fit in the back.

My wife is expecting our first child in April and a carseat was purchased for us, but we probably wont receive it until Feb when she has her baby shower. I know the prudent thing to do would be to wait until we have the carseat and go to the dealership with it, but to be honest we're ready to buy a car sooner the later and the Alltracks are becoming hard to find in my area.

I'm not looking for advice on car seats, but I am curious how other Alltrack owners perceive the limited space for rear seat passengers and use of car seats and how they are dealing with it, if it's an issue for them, etc. Does anyone have any experience having a carseat in the back? How does that affect the front passenger or driver legroom?

Thanks!
I use a car seat in my 2017 Alltrack S without any issue at all. I am also 6'0" and have my seat comfortably back with my son behind me. Hope it helps and congratulations on the little one coming soon.

nilly

Reactions
OP
E
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the comments. As it turns out, we originally test drove a Sportwagen, not an Alltrack. Just drove the Alltrack today and there is significantly more space. I think we'll be just fine, love the car!

mpops

Reactions
Hey there Exaybachay

We too own a similar Impreza & test drove an Alltrack & found rear seat space to be very similar. In considering an Alltrack, a Subaru Outback seems equally attractive for different reasons.

On paper the Alltrack seems to be an ideal choice, however, we're concerned by doubts about longevity & in particular VW's history with DSG's, as well as the wide-spread reports of customers having unnecessary difficulty dealing with VW in the event of problems – problems widely reported by owners in many countries, on many forums.

We own 2 Subarus, a early model Forester & the aforementioned 8 yr old Impreza, both bought new. I can't argue about the reliability of the Forester – it's fantastic & rock-solid, a true work-horse even after a tough 250,000km. The Impreza, after an easier 100,000km is starting to show it's age, it's reliable enough but not like the Forester.

In Australia, once the 135TDI Alltrack includes the 'driver assistance package' option, it still comes in at about AU$3000 less than the 2.0D diesel Outback, in which we'd need the AU$6000 option pack to closely match the safety features in the optioned VW, on that front, if Subaru included their safety options both separately and cheaper, we'd be convinced.

Despite appearances, I don't think I'm biased toward Subaru, we bought our first one because it ticked our boxes (pre-internet searches) & then the Impreza because the Forester was just so good. I'm no fan of the Impreza at all but it's turned out to be a reliable car. I'd happily buy the Alltrack, but the amount of people venting at VW because of various issues (particularly DSG's) and the apparent lack of VW's willingness to acknowledge owner's problems with their cars is a serious consideration to us. In fairness & having said that I know Subaru's history is certainly not perfect either.

shreck64

Reactions
Before you buy the vehicle make sure you get it out on the interstate or local freeway. Drive at least 70+mph and bring a tire gauge. Some people are having vibration issues at interstate speeds and the dealer i purchased from had the tires at 25psi which smoothed the ride out quite a bit, but when i inflated them to the proper level the vibrations increased quite a bit. Do not get me wrong this is a great vehicle it just looks like some of them maybe having an issue. I recommend buying it just do those 2 things to be on the safe side.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T New Member Introduction 2